Thursday, October 22, 2009

Book rant

Yesterday I went a little stir crazy being at home. It was snowing and cold and crappy out, so I wasn't really psyched about running errands, so instead... I found an amazon.com gift card that I had and went crazy. Not really crazy, per say, but I maximized that $50 like no other. hehe. I got 8 books. Mostly new. I am so excited. I found 2 new books in one series that i'd read and 1 new book in another series that i'd read. I LOVE book series. One book is just not enough, if the story is really good.

Speaking of series... I have mentioned the Diana Gabaldon "Outlander" series before (AWESOME). The 7th book in that series was just released in September. The first 6 books were awesome. They each ended, if you know what I mean. They left you feeling complete, but still happy that you knew there was another book to come.
THIS BOOK, on the other hand (Echo in the Bone), did NOT leave me satisfied. It's really strange. Her writing is always rich and the characters are always plentiful and intertwined, but THIS book took that to a slightly headachy level. There were characters that were mentioned but hardly introduced, and 3- COUNT THEM-- THREE- story lines were left completely hanging at the end of the book. And I mean HANGING. Like "he opened the door and..." [end chapter, character not to be mentioned again in this book]
Since there is an average of 3 years between releases, I need to let it go. However, I find myself frustrated because, unlike her other books, I don't feel the compulsion to read this one again (i've gone through it twice) because I know i'll be frustrated at the end. :)

On the pregnancy front: I keep expecting something to "happen." As in, morning sicness, weight gain, or SOMETHING. I know, most women at 5.5 weeks don't even know they're pregnant yet. However, I've known for 2-something weeks, so something should happen already! hehe. :) Patience? yea, I'm working on that one.

1 comment:

beka said...

Someone recommended the "Enders Game" series to me. I haven't read it, so I have no idea what it's even about but... with winter coming and all the indoor time that provides, thought I"d pass it along. Can you tell I'm just catching up on your blog now? :) Who knew after 5 months you would get inspired again!